Strictly Come Dancing 2012: what we know so far
MSN TV's guest blogger, Natasha Louise Sporn, shares the latest gossip on the upcoming series of Strictly Come Dancing.
It’s that time of year again when we get ready for another series of Strictly Come Dancing. The celebrity line-up will be announced soon and the rumour mill has gone into overdrive already.
The show looks set to be the most exciting series yet – here is what has been officially announced and what we’ve heard on the grapevine.
Official: what we know:
1. The show has two new executive producers - Andrea Hamilton and Glenn Coomber - after previous incumbent Moira Ross went over to The Voice. They’ve vowed we shall see skimpier outfits and sexier routines; we are not sure how much skimpier some of those outfits can get…
2. Retired ballerina Darcey Bussell has replaced Alesha Dixon as the female judge on the panel. This comes after an extensive BBC search for the new judge after Alesha quit Strictly to be a judge on Britain’s Got Talent. Bussell has been a guest judge on Strictly before.
3. Burn The Floor star Karen Hauer is the only new professional to join the Strictly dancers after Katya Virshilas was axed from the show.
4. Fans of the show will get more backstage gossip and pictures than ever before because the BBC Strictly online team is bigger than ever this series.
5. The Strictly Come Dancing launch show will be aired on Saturday 15 September 2012. For the past two years the launch show has paired up the celebrities with their professional partners.
6. US dancer Lacey Schwimmer has been drafted in as a choreographer for this series – already having some input in professional routines.
7. Zoe Ball will be presenting the spin-off BBC2 show It Takes Two again this year.
8. The official Strictly trailer has been released and showcases Darcey dancing with each of the male judges!
9. The competition will kick off on Friday 5 October 2012 and run every Saturday until December 22 2012.
10. On Saturday 17 November, the show will be broadcast from Wembley Arena – just like last year – and proceeds will go to BBC Children In Need (which is the reason it why the show cannot be at TVC in the first place).
11. You can apply for tickets to see the show until Sunday 16 September 2012.
WATCH: The official trailer for this year's SCD
Rumours: what has been reported and where:
1. STV has claimed that Strictly judge Craig Revel Horwood wants Prince Harry to be a contestant on this series of Strictly. Many contestants get audience tickets for their grandparents. Would Harry persuade the Queen and Prince Philip to come along?!
2. According to Tellymix, Top celebrities rumoured to be in the line-up this year include two singers: Girls Aloud’s Kimberley Walsh and Westlife’s Nicky Byrne. Oasis singer Noel Gallagher also reportedly turned down an offer to appear on the show – yet bookies are still offering odds on him making the line-up.
3. The Daily Mail has reported that former Olympians are also rumoured to be shaking and shimmying on the Strictly dance floor this autumn. The most likely contenders based on the media reports we have seen are Victoria Pendleton - she’s just retired from track cycling - and former rower Sir Steve Redgrave.
Other Olympians mentioned but either unconfirmed or ruled out include gymnast Beth Tweddle, swimmer Rebecca Adlington, rower Mark Hunter and bob skeleton rider Amy Williams. The Daily Mail is also reporting that gymnast Louis Smith could be looking at joining Strictly so as to take revenge on ITV X Factor for cutting him from the contest at the audition stage.
4. The Sun reported that ITV appear has banned its soap stars from taking time out to compete on a rival channel’s show. Michelle Keegan who plays Tina Macintyre in Coronation Street was said to have been threatened with the sack if she were to take a break from filming to Strictly.
The report stated she would be allowed to do ITV’s Dancing on Ice or I’m a Celebrity only. However, her agent Vital Management PR later took to Twitter to deny the rumours.
5. The Sun also reported that former England cricket captain Michael Vaughan looks to be a certainty for the celebrity line-up. Watch out Erin Boag, you often get paired the sporty types (Peter Shilton, Peter Schmeichel, Colin Jackson, Austin Healey).
6. The Mirror reportesd that Dannii Minogue could be plotting revenge on Simon Cowell for affair claims by appearing on Strictly. As interesting as this could have been for the show, it was also denied by Dannii herself.
7. The Daily Mail have claimed that other rumoured contestants include former BBC Breakfast presenter Sian Williams, Great British Bake Off chef Paul Hollywood, former supermodel Jerry Hall and ex-soap star Sid Owen.
8. The Daily Mail also revealed that TV presenter Chris Evans’ name has also appeared on the rumour mill but he has apparently ruled out an appearance on the show.
However, last year Robbie Savage stated on his Twitter page that he wasn’t doing Strictly a couple of weeks before he turned up for the opening show. Another TV presenter who apparently fancies her chances as a dancer is Davina McCall. -
9. According to The Sun, wnner of the 2011 Strictly Christmas special Charlie Brooks (she’s an actress in EastEnders) looks set to appear on this series – much like Harry Judd did after competing in the Children In Need special.
Her exit from the BBC soap is said to have been planned months ago, allowing her time for the demands of dancing.
10. It has been reported that Strictly will not return to Blackpool Tower Ballroom at any point this series. It is said to be too expensive to locate such a large broadcasting operation to the north of England for one week only.
11. According to the Daily Star, new judge Darcey Bussell has said that she is taking dance classes ahead of the series.
12. According to The Sun, Children’s TV legend and father of It Takes Two Host Zoe, Johnny Ball has signed up for Strictly. At 74, Jonny would be the oldest celebrity to dance in the competition, pipping 2010 Strictly contestant Paul Daniels by two years.
13. Rumours are coming out of the Isle of Man that world superbike champion James Toseland is set to be signed up by the BBC Strictly bosses after he moves to London with soon-to-be-wife singer Katie Melua.
14. The Daily Mail revealed that the full celebrity line-up will be announced on Friday 7 September.
15. Also, according to the same article as above, the dance-off is returning to the Sunday night results show.
So the BBC is now pulling the plug on Blackpool Tower Ballroom despite being a
great success and the building does it justice for a live final! Those studios in
London look so small. Its typical why have they only realised the the costings now
having spent the last two years there! There always seems a North/South divide
which is a shame gives the public up North a chance to see something spectacular
I wish they would replace Forsyth with anyone. Saturday evenings ruined again.
I don't like Doctor Who but even that is better than B.F. and his sidekick.
Finalists, including Welsh star Bonnie Tyler, rehearse ahead of the Eurovision Song Contest final in Sweden.
Date 11 hrs ago, Duration 1:16, Views 1085
Are you shocked Made In Chelsea won a Bafta?
Thanks for being one of the first people to vote. Results will be available soon. Check for results
- 86 %Yes - Made In Chelsea is rubbish
- No - Made In Chelsea is entertaining